MBSR Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction
You can’t stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.
In study after study, the practice of mindfulness has been proven highly successful as an adjunct treatment for illness, chronic pain, and anxiety. Mindfulness is also one of the best ways to manage the ongoing stress of daily living—and is increasingly used in healthcare, education, business, and community settings to create positive outcomes.
This Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) course—originally developed by Jon Kabat-Zinn at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center—is considered the gold standard of research-based mindfulness training programs. Over the last 35+ years, thousands of people have learned how to use MBSR to develop and strengthen the inherent human capacity for mindful awareness.
The course consists of 10 sessions including an orientation meeting, 8 teaching sessions and a special practice day.
- Orientation: Tuesday October 2, 7:00pm–8:30pm (required for those intending to take the class)
- Learning Sessions (8 Tuesdays): October 9, 16, 23, 30, November 6, 13, 27, December 4, 7:00pm–9:15pm
- Day of practice: There will additionally be an optional retreat day, at the Eileen Fisher Learning Lab on Sunday, November 18, from 9:30am–2:30pm.
The program offers a systematic method of cultivating mental clarity, well-being, and insight through accessible mind-body strategies.
The primary components of the course include:
- guided practices
- gentle mindful movement
- self-inquiry exercises
- mindful listening practice
- teacher-led group inquiry and dialogue
Take a proactive step toward countering the negative effects of stress and discover for yourself why more and more people are using mindfulness practices to experience greater ease and presence in the face of the demands of life and work.
- You will experience the benefits of a regular mindfulness practice and have the opportunity to share your insights and challenges over time.
- You will learn how to fit a daily routine into your lifestyle, as well as naturally weave mindful awareness into your day.
- You will find out what all the focus on mindfulness is about through your own personal experience of its effects.
For additional information: Frequently Asked Questions
Of Professional Interest …
In addition to individuals wanting to reduce stress and pain and enhance quality of life, this workshop will greatly benefit:
- Health-care professionals and teachers curious about the applications of mindfulness—and willing to begin with their own experience.
- Business leaders and professionals who want to know more about how mindfulness can positively impact their workplaces—based first on how it helps their own performance.
- Anyone interested in bringing mindfulness practices into their workplace or community—by starting with their own personal practice.
Laurence Magro, MS, MBA, was certified in MBSR at the Center for Mindfulness at UMass Medical School and is a Licensed Mental Health Counselor who specializes in mindfulness-based therapies and integrative approaches. She is also the founder and director of Mindful Living NY, which offers counseling, training, and consulting to individuals, groups, and professional organizations. For the last 15 years she has served as a practicing psychotherapist and mindfulness trainer with a personal yoga and meditation practice. She draws on Eastern contemplative traditions and recent Western advances in mind-body research to inspire and empower people to help themselves.